Sunday 18 March 2012

Personae 171


My name is Ally Baldwin. I'm studying a Bachelor of Design Innovation specializing in Media at Victoria University. I had originally applied for a BA at Victoria for a double major in Psychology and Sociology as I like English. I also submitted a portfolio of my work to Massey University to apply for a Diploma in Photography. After being accepted into both I had to make the difficult decision in choosing my future with a fourteen day dead line. I ended up choosing a completely different direction as it's difficult to make much of a career out of photography alone and although I have a interest in psychology, the jobs that come from it are not for me. I chose Media Design at Victoria as the main attraction was the jobs that stemmed from it, they all sound like things I'd love to do such as film and special effects editor, game designer and web site designer. I saw that one of the students who had completed their degree had gone on to be a director of cinematography and photography in film, I would love a job like this. Also all the projects we will do in our second and third year sound really amazing - designing and making our own game, creating a short film.

My design inspirations are Gerald Scarfe (designer of Pink Floyd, The Wall) as his illustrations are unique, very organic when animated and I like the use of ink and Jamie Reid (designer for The Sex Pistols) as he was one of the main influences that brought on the punk revolution. He was daring enough to use the Queen's portrait with his famous font of a ransom note effect (cut out newspaper) over her face reading "God Save The Queen."

No comments:

Post a Comment